The First Congregational Church of Royal Oak (FCC) was founded in 1842 by 10 individuals. They met in the Baptist meeting house until 1843 when they moved to the Union Sabbath School. In 1844 they began sharing the Methodist Church, holding services on Sunday afternoons, where they remained for 25 years.
In 1866 they purchased a church building from the Troy Presbyterian church, dismantled the building and reassembled it on the west side of Main Street, between Third and Fourth Streets. In 1910 the church sold that property and purchased a lot on the northeast corner of Third and Center Streets. They again dismantled the church and rebuilt it at the new location. In 1936, Starr Congregational Church merged with FCC and they remained at the Third and Center site until May 8, 1955.
Ground breaking and construction for a new church at our current location of Crooks and Webster began in May of 1955. Church services and Sunday School classes were held at Jane Addams School on Webster until they could be moved into the new structure. The social hall and classrooms were the first sections constructed. The congregation met in the social hall until the Meeting House (Sanctuary) was completed. Our first service in the new Meeting House was on February 2, 1964.
In April of 1974, Highland Park Congregational Church merged with FCC, bringing 117 members with them.
FCC of Royal Oak celebrated its 175th birthday with a weekend of community service in May, 2017 and a special worship service on August 13, 2017. In November of that year, the entire community was invited to a special orchestral & choral concert commemorating the expedition of 1606 which established Jamestown.
For a more complete history check out “Pilgrims Together in Freedom”, or one of the other books in the Alan Jenkins church library.